CEBU City, Sept. 8, 2015 – The Augustinians in the Philippines are calling on all Filipino college students nationwide who have a passion for writing to join the 450 Kaplag National Essay Writing contest in honor of the Holy Child of Cebu.
Themed “Santo Niño and the Dawn of Christian Faith in the Philippines,” each participant must write an essay in English which will highlight the significance of the revered image of Santo Niño de Cebu in the history of the Philippine Church and nation as well as in the New Evangelization.
It must also look back to the contributions of the Augustinian Order to the development of Philippine history and culture.
The contest is open to all bonafide students of tertiary schools in the country.
Deadline for submission of entries is on or before Sept. 30, 2015.
Mechanics are as follows:
- All entries must be submitted in manuscript form, typewritten (Times New Roman, 12, regular) in short bond paper (8 ½ in x 11 in) double-space with one-inch margin on all sides.
- Each entry must not exceed four pages and must be submitted in four copies.
- The entry must bear only the pen name of the author. The pen name, real name, mailing address, contact number, and signature of the author must be written on a piece of paper. The piece of paper must be sealed in a short letter envelope outside of which will be written the pen name of the author. The letter envelope containing the real name of the author must be stapled on the first copy of the entry. The entry must include in the envelope a certification from the college dean that the author is a bonafide student of the institution and a duly accomplished affidavit form provided by the committee.
All entries must be received by the 450 Kaplag Executive Director, Provincial Offices, Santo Niño Pilgrim Center, Osmeña Blvd., Cebu City, on or before Sept. 30, 2015.
Criteria for judging are:
- 40% for content
- 40% for rhetoric and style;
- 20% for universal impact
The Board of Jurors will be composed of renowned historians, theologians, and authorities on Philippines culture and arts.
Their decision will be final and non-appealable.
Besides commemorative trophies, the winning students will receive cash prizes as follows:
- First prize – Php 20,000
- Second Prize – Php 10,000
- Third Prize – Php 5,000
Moreover, their schools will be given plaques of recognition.
The 450 Kaplag Executive Director will notify the winning entries and invite the authors to Cebu for the awarding ceremonies.
For further information, interested parties may contact the Augustinian Province of Santo Niño de Cebu – Philippines, Provincial Officers – Santo Niño Pilgrim Center
Osmeña Blvd. and Burgos St., Cebu City, Philippines 6000 at (032) 253 -1601. (Raymond A. Sebastián / CBCP News)