0%

Quake-ravaged Bohol feels forgotten

Posted By: admin On:


A boy sits outside his home that was destroyed by the powerful earthquake that hit Bohol last year.

MANILA, Jan. 10, 2014— The victims of last year’s powerful earthquake in Bohol province feel they have been forgotten as attention and aid shifted to typhoon-ravaged Central Visayas. 

Bishop Leonardo Medroso of Tagbilaran said several victims displaced by the magnitude-7.2 temblor last October 15 are still in need of help especially from the government. 

“We feel forgotten here in Bohol,” Medroso said over Manila archdiocese-run Radio Veritas on Friday. 

However, the church leader said they need to stand up again by helping each other and through their strong faith. 

“We are in the stage of rebuilding. Of course this is the spirit of the people here who were discouraged because of the earthquake,” Medroso said. 

“The people are recovering very fast and their faith becomes stronger. That means that the earthquake is a means of evangelization for us, very strong,” he said. 

The bishop also renewed his appeal for aid to rebuild several parish churches damaged by a strong earthquake that struck Bohol province last year. 

Bishop Leonardo Medroso of Tagbilaran said more help is needed to repair the churches that were heavily damaged by the magnitude-7.2 temblor last October 15. 

“To those who have faith and have seen the importance of the churches for our celebration of the Eucharist, we are appealing to you to help us rebuild Bohol again,” Medroso said. 

According to him, with the restoration of the churches, it can give more hope to victims and could spur the province to rise up again. 

“… So that we too, having recovered ourselves, we can also help other people by spreading the Good News,” he said. 

Medroso said they already have started rebuilding damaged-churches especially those that are considered as cultural heritage. 

“Because it would take time to rebuild, we will build new alternate churches, smaller one but decent, as a place for us to celebrate the Eucharist,” he added. 

All of the diocese’s 50 parish churches suffered major damages during the earthquake including eight heritage churches with three of them in total wreck and impossible to restore. 

Manila Archbishop Luis Antonio Cardinal Tagle yesterday called on Filipinos ‘not to forget’ and pray for the victims of recent disaster that hit the country. 

In his homily during the Mass for the Feast of the Black Nazarene in Manila, he said that in praying, the faithful show they do not forget. 

He particularly reminded the devotees of people affected by Typhoon Pablo in 2012, Tropical Storm Santi, the Zamboanga siege and the earthquake in Bohol. 

“Those who remember God remember their neighbor,” Tagle said. (CBCPNews)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


SHARE
Play Cover Track Title
Track Authors