MANILA, Jan. 16, 2014— A Catholic priest has blamed illegal logging for the worsening floods in Davao region.
The province is getting absolute drench caused by incessant rain that hit Southern Mindanao since last Friday, and deluge continues.
The downpour has caused flash floods across the area and other provinces, killing at least 26 people, reports said.
Fr. Emerson Luego, Diocese of Tagum’s social action director, said high rainfall was not the only cause of the flooding.
He said many trees have already lost to typhoon Pablo last year and non-stop illegal logging exacerbates the situation.
“Our forests have been stripped by illegal logging aside from the destruction caused by typhoon Pablo,” Luego said.
Meanwhile, the Caritas Manila immediately sent an initial P200, 000 to help the Diocese of Tagum’s relief operation.
Fr. Anton Pascual, executive director of Caritas Manila, said they also sent another P200, 000 for the diocese’s rehabilitation effort.
Around 63,000 families or 3,000 individuals were displaced by the incessant rain brought on by a low-pressure area in 14 provinces from regions X, XI and Caraga.
In Davao del Norte, Tagum City and the towns of Kapalong, Carmen, Asuncion, and New Corella were already placed under the state of calamity. (CBCPNews)