MANILA, May 21, 2014— A Catholic priest appeals to the government to let accused rebel Andrea Rosal attend her baby’s burial.
Fr. Melvin Castro of the CBCP Commission on Family and Life said Rosal had already been deprived of maternal care, so she should at least be allowed to attend the burial of her daughter, whom she lost just a day after birth.
“She was already deprived of her basic human and maternal right to receive appropriate medical care during her pregnancy. Let us not deprive her of her right to bury her dead,” Castro said.
“She might be considered a rebel, but she is first and foremost a mother,” he said.
The Pasig City Court yesterday rejected Rosal’s request to attend the burial of her baby who succumbed to hypoxemia at a hospital in Manila on Sunday.
She was, however, allowed to attend her daughter’s wake at the IFI National Cathedral in Ermita, Manila, but only for three hours of May 21.
The burial is scheduled in Rosal’s hometown of Ibaan, Batangas on May 22.
Militant groups blamed the government’s failure to give appropriate medical attention to Andrea, who was nabbed by the military in Caloocan last March 27.
Rosal is the daughter of the late New People’s Army (NPA) spokesperson Gregorio “Ka Roger” Rosal. (CBCPNews)