MANILA, Jan. 10, 2016— The rector of Quiapo Church asked people to pray for the two devotees who died during the massive Black Nazarene procession in Manila.
Monsignor Hernando Coronel expressed sadness as he confirmed at least two fatalities during the 20-hour “Traslacion” on Saturday.
“Let us offer prayers for Alex Fulyedo and Mauro Arabit who died (during the procession),” Coronel said.
The priest said he will personally get in touch with the families of Fulyedo and Arabit to see how the parish can help them.
The 27-year old Fulyedo from Sampaloc, Manila suffered from cardiac arrest and died on arrival at the Ospital ng Maynila.
On the other hand, the 58-year old Arabit of Binangonan, Rizal was also declared on arrival at the Jose Reyes Medical Center due to acute coronary syndrome.
The Philippine Red Cross said they were able to provide first aid assistance to 1, 511 patients, most of them sought for blood pressure checking.
The PRC also recorded 53 major injuries and 591 minor injuries.
The procession left the Quirino Grandstand at 5:55am on Saturday and reached Quiapo Church at 2:00am the following day, one of the fastest in the past years.
Last year, the Black Nazarene lasted for over 21 hours.
Coronel attributed the faster procession to the proper coordination among all concerned government agencies.
Police and Manila officials said the estimated crowd throughout the procession was 1.5 million, significantly less than the expected over 10 million devotees.
Hundreds of thousands, meanwhile, waited for the image’s arrival at the Quiapo Church. (CBCPNews)