PARAÑAQUE City, July 29, 2014— To prepare the faithful for the feast day of Nuestra Señora del Buen Suceso (Our Lady of Good Events) on August 10, Sunday, the schedule of the feast day novena masses in her honor of is finally out.
The Diocese of Parañaque prepared a host of activities for its patroness, starting on August 1, Friday, and culminating on the eve of the feast on August 9, Saturday at the Cathedral Parish of Saint Andrew the Apostle (Parañaque Cathedral) in Barangay La Huerta.
The schedule and celebrant of each “misa novenario” every 6:00 p.m. is as follows:
- August 1 (Friday) – Fr. Rolly Agustin, all priests
- August 2 (Saturday) – Fr. Gerry Habunal, Fr. Rolly Agustin
- August 3 (Sunday) – Fr. Mariel Sarez, Rolly Agustin
- August 4 (Monday) – Fr. Rio Evangelista, Rolly Agustin
- August 5 (Tuesday) – Fr. Gerard de Villa, Fr. Rolly Agustin
- August 6 (Wednesday) – Fr. Santi Fernandez, Fr. Rolly Agustin
- August 7 (Thursday) – Fr. Jason Bill Valeza, Rolly Agustin
- August 8 (Friday) – Fr. Fidel Fabile, Rolly Agustin
- August 9 (Saturday) – Fr. Rolly Agustin, all priests
Parañaque Cathedral is home to the miraculous image of Nuestra Señora del Buen Suceso, the oldest statue of the Blessed Mother in the Philippines after Ermita’s Nuestra Señora de Guía (Our Lady of Guidance).
The Marian image was brought to the fishing village of Palanyag, Parañaque’s old name, by the Augustinians shortly after the foundation of the parish on May 11, 1580.
Devotion to what has been considered “Abogada de los Navegantes” (Advocate of Sailors) and “helper of those afflicted with asthma and tuberculosis (TB)”, spread fast, prompting Fray Alonzo de Mentrida, the Superior of the Order of Saint Augustine (OSA), to order its enthronement at the Saint Andrew’s Church on August 10, 1625.
The natives of Parañaque have venerated “Nana Ciso” for centuries, attesting to the many graces they have received through her intercession.
In recognition of the devotion of the people to the Virgin of Buen Suceso, then Pope John Paul II ordered her Canonical Coronation, which happened on September 3, 2000.
The former Archbishop of Manila Jaime C. Cardinal Sin proclaimed her the “Patroness of the Entire City of Parañaque”, making official what has long been the case.
This year’s fiesta will mark the image’s 389th enthronement anniversary. (Raymond A. Sebastián)