ANGELES City, March 25, 2015—Holy Angel University (HAU), the premier Catholic school of higher learning in Central Luzon, has a new building dedicated to the spiritual formation of its students inspired by Pope St. John Paul II’s vision of Catholic universities.
Named after former HAU President, the Sr. Josefina G. Nepomuceno (SJN) Formation Center was inaugurated and blessed on March 19 by no less than three San Fernando prelates: Archbishop Florentino G. Lavarias, Archbishop Emeritus Paciano B. Aniceto, and Auxiliary Bishop Pablo Virgilio S. David.
Incoming HAU president Dr. Luis Ma. Calingo led guests in the inauguration that included heads of school, parish pastoral council officers, and members of religious congregations.
In his speech during the Mass which preceded the blessing ceremonies, HAU Acting President Geromin T. Nepomuceno, Jr. said the building was a tribute to Nepomuceno whose term from 1985 to 1995 ushered in reforms, which put the school on the path to accreditation.
Located behind the HAU Chapel of the Holy Guardian Angel, the SJN Formation Center houses the University’s Campus Ministry, Community Extension Services Office, as well as the Christian Living Department.
During Mass, HAU Chaplain Fr. Elmer Salonga unveiled the Angelite Prayer containing the charisms of the Seven Archangels which echo the core values of the university.
Open since 1933, HAU takes pride in being the first Catholic school in the Philippines that was founded neither by a religious congregation nor a diocese, but by laity.
On August 15, 1990, Pope John Paul II promulgated the encyclical “Ex Corde Ecclesiae” (From the Heart of the Church), which defines the character and role of Catholic universities. (Raymond A. Sebastián/CBCP News)