MANILA, August 6, 2013— The Catholic Church’s relief agency has appealed for aid for flood-ravaged areas of Maguindanao and North Cotabato, as the swelling waters forced thousands of people from their homes.
Bishop Broderick Pabillo of the National Secretariat for Social Action (Nassa) urged the faithful to reach out to those who have been affected by the flooding following days of incessant rains.
“We should help them, show our concern to the victims, and provide them with the necessary assistance,” Pabillo said.
Reports reaching the Nassa revealed that the incessant rains for the last three weeks have affected more than 100,000 residents forcing them to move to higher grounds.
“Let us also continue to pray against the bad weather,” Pabillo added.
According to him, the massive flooding, especially in Cotabato, is caused by the tons of water lilies clogging the Rio Grande de Mindanao.
“I hope the government can find a solution to this problem,” said Pabillo.
Last week, the Cotabato City has been placed under the state of calamity as families affected by the flooding have reached more than 27,000 from 26 barangays. (CBCPNews)