0%

Increase of devotees for Nazarene feast in CDO expected

Posted By: Chris Costuya On:


CAGAYAN DE ORO, Jan. 7, 2011—Church and local officials in Cagayan de Oro City are expecting greater participation of devotees of this year’s 3rd Black Nazarene procession this city on Sunday.

Monsignor Rey Monsanto said all preparations are set for Sunday procession in which devotees are anticipated to exceed last year’s estimated 100,000 people.

“We are expecting more people this time because it’s (procession) is on a Sunday,” said Monsanto, parish priest of the Jesus Nazareno Church.

He said the devotion to the Black Nazarene among Cagayanons is getting stronger as more people are joining the religious procession since they started it in 2009.

In fact, he said, people from Misamis Occidental, Lanao del Norte, Butuan, Davao, Cebu and other provinces go to Cagayan de Oro just to attend the procession.

Monsanto said security measures for the procession, which will start at 3 p.m., are already in place with the help of the local police and even the military.

From the Jesus Nazareno Church, the procession will proceed to Lapasan, Agora Market, Julio Pacana Street, Juan Luna Street, Osmeña Street and back to Claro M. Recto where the church is located.

A replica of the Black Nazarene’s image from the Quiapo Church in Manila was turned over to Cagayan de Oro City in 2009 to give devotees in Mindanao a chance to join the religious event every January 9.

In Manila, church and police officials are expecting at least 6 million to join the procession which will start at 8 a.m. from Rizal Park to Quiapo Church. (CBCPNews)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


SHARE
Play Cover Track Title
Track Authors