MANILA, Oct. 7, 2016 – Are you a parent longing for more time with your child? Or a guardian wanting a more intentional approach to learning? If you’ve answered yes, then the Philippine Homeschool Conference 2016 on Oct. 22, SMX Convention Center, SM Aura Premier, Taguig City is for you.
Themed “From Roots to Wings: Homeschooling through the stages”, the 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. event is open to everyone considering homeschooling, already homeschooling, or even just curious about homeschooling and intentional parenting.
“…[M]ost parents would agree that some benefits [of homeschooling] are getting to customize their kids’ education, getting to spend more time with their kids thus getting to know their kids on a deeper level, being able to influence their kids with their own set of values and principles – as opposed to their kids’ peers, teachers and other people being the main influence,” shared Tina Rodriguez of Educating for Life, organizer of the said event.
According to the homeschooling mom, who is also a member of the Homeschool Association of the Philippine Islands (HAPI) Core Group, homeschooled kids are also less pressured because their lessons can be adapted to their pace with no need to deal with the hassles of traffic, waking up early in the morning just to get ready for school, etc.
The event’s program is as follows:
- 7:00-9:00 a.m.– Registration
- 9:00-9:15 – Welcome remarks
- 9:15-10:00 – Building a Firm Foundation by Deonna Tan-Chi and Joy Mendoza
- 10:00-10:20 – Strengthening the Foundation Through Financial Planning* by Eric Nicdao
- 10:20-10:30 – Raffle
- 10:30-11:15 – Motivation – The Art and Science of Helping Students Learn Well by Andrew Pudewa
- 11:15-11:25 – Raffle
- 11:25-12:10 p.m. – Wings to Soar: Leaving a Legacy for our Children by Bo Sanchez
- 12:10-12:20 – Raffle
- 12:20-2:00 – Lunch Break / Expo visit
- 2:00-2:45 – The Ins and Outs of Homeschooling in the Philippines by Edric Mendoza OR Transitioning from Brick and Mortar to Homechooling by Jenn Punzalan OR Homeschooling the High School Years by Racquel Guevara
- 2:45-3:00 – Mobilize to next session
- 3:00-3:45 – Laying the Foundation in Preschool by Milona Barraca OR Paper and Pen: How “Low Tech” Reading and Writing Benefit Students* by Andrew Pudewa OR Transitioning to College by Ivy and Bernard Marquez
- 3:45-4:00 – Mobilize to next session
- 4:00-4:45 – Starting Your Homeschool Journey by Donna Simpao OR The Hows of Interest-Led Homeschooling by Alex Hao OR Homeschooling the Special Needs Child by Jen Bellosillo
- 4:45-5:30 – Break / Expo visit
- 5.30-6 Major raffle prizes / HAPI Launch / Closing remarks
For more information, interested parties may check http://www.educatingforlife.co/phc-2016/
The registration fee of Php 1000 per head is inclusive of access to the keynote talks, breakout sessions, and the Expo area, which features different products and services that can benefit homeschooling families and even non-homeschoolers who want to enrich their children’s education. (Nirva’ana Ella Delacruz / CBCPNews)