MANILA, July 16, 2013— Catholic Church officials have heaved a sigh of relief with the Supreme Court extending again its suspension order against the implementation of a birth control law.
But Fr. Melvin Castro, executive secretary of the CBCP’s Commission on Family and Life said the respite is temporary and asked the faithful to continue praying that the “Reproductive Health” law will be repealed.
“Although only by the slimmest vote possible, we are glad that the Supreme Court has extended the status quo ante order (stopping the RH law),” Castro said.
“On this feast of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, we continue to turn to the Lord and to Our Lady to intercede for the Filipino people and the Filipino family,” he added.
Voting 8-7, the high court on Tuesday extended indefinitely the 120-day SQAO it had issued last March on the controversial contraception law. The order was supposed to expire on July 17.
The SC will resume hearing oral arguments, which started last week, for and against the RH law on July 23. (CBCPNews)