MANILA, Nov. 29, 2016— Cardinal Orlando Quevedo of Cotabato has demanded justice for the survivors of a bomb attack outside a church at the end of the first Mass on the first Sunday of Advent.
At least two people were injured when an improvised explosive device (IED) went off outside the church’s gate in Esperanza, Sultan Kudarat as parishioners left the church at around 6:30 a.m.
“I appeal to our security police forces to ferret out those responsible and bring them to justice. Let us all be vigilant against acts of terrorism,” said the prelate in a statement.
“It is an attack on innocent human lives. It is also an attack on freedom of religion and freedom to worship,” he said.
The blast, he added, was also made worse because of the sacredness of the place and the event that had just taken place.
The cardinal described the explosion as “pure terrorism”.
“As the leader of the archdiocese of Cotabato, I voice my strong condemnation against this irrational act of terrorism,” he said.
No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack. (CBCPNews)