0%

Bishops send condolences after Italy quake

Posted By: admin On:


Rescue workers from the Sovereign Military Order of Malta assist in an earthquake affected area, Aug. 24, 2016. (Photo: Sovereign Military Order of Malta via CNA)

MANILA, August 25, 2016— An official of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines has extended the local Church’s condolences to families of earthquake victims in Italy.

Bishop Ruperto Santos of the CBCP’s Commission on Migrants and Itinerant Peoples said they are offering prayers to those killed by the quake, their relatives, as well as others affected by this “trying moment of disaster.

“We are deeply saddened by the deaths it caused among the residents of the affected areas. We share in the pain of those who have been injured, hurt, and left orphans and homeless. We grieve with Italy,” Santos said.

“Let us all pray for bodily and moral strength to the survivors and faith and hope to the citizens of Amatrice and Accumoli that, with God’s mercy, they will rise again,” he said.

The Philippine government announced that no Filipino casualties have been reported so far in the 6.2 magnitude earthquake that rocked central Italy Wednesday.

“Italy is gracious home to our OFWs, who experience love and acceptance there… we are relieved that no Filipino perished in the deadly earthquake that hit Italy,” said Santos.

As of last count, at least 247 people were reported killed and dozens are believed to be trapped in the towns of Amatrice, Accumoli and Pescara del Tronto that were hit hard by the quake.

At the Vatican, Pope Francis has led more than 11,000 pilgrims in praying the rosary for the quake victims.

The Pope also dispatched a team from the Vatican’s fire squad to help in the rescue mission. (CBCPNews)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


SHARE
Play Cover Track Title
Track Authors