MANILA, Sept. 27, 2015— A Catholic bishop expressed solidarity with Muslims after a devastating stampede in Saudi Arabia which also killed a Filipino pilgrim.
In statement, Bishop Ruperto Santos of Balanga expressed the Church’s sympathy for the victims of the tragedy during the annual Hajj pilgrimage on Sept. 24.
“In this moment of loss and time of sorrow, as Filipino, we are one with the bereaved Family. We offer our prayers,” said Santos, who heads the Church’s migrants ministry.
“He died for and with his faith. And the Almighty whom we place our trust and hope will surely be merciful to him, to us,” he said.
Saudi authorities said around 750 pilgrims were killed in the tragedy, which came weeks after a construction crane crashed into Mecca’s Grand Mosque, killing about 107 people.
Pope Francis had earlier expressed his “closeness” with Muslims after the devastating stampede. (R. Lagarde / CBCPNews)