MANILA, Feb. 19, 2014— The government has failed to provide adequate help for typhoon Yolanda survivors that devastated several towns in Eastern Samar three months ago, a Catholic bishop said.
Aside from the controversial bunkhouses, Borongan Bishop Crispin Varquez said the government’s concrete rehabilitation programs are yet to be seen.
“I always visit the affected areas but so far, I’ve only seen bunkhouses. That’s so far the concrete thing that the government did here (in Eastern Samar),” Varquez said.
The bishop said the typhoon victims are yet to see other programs despite the appointment of former senator Panfilo Lacson as Presidential Assistant for Rehabilitation and Recovery.
“There’s no housing yet and livelihood,” he said.
Varquez also lamented that the government is keeping the affected families clueless on the status of their rehabilitation program.
“I don’t know when it will start of if they are still in the planning stage. We have no idea,” he added.
It was in Guiuan, Eastern Samar when Yolanda made its first landfall and subsequently run roughshod over different parts of Leyte and provinces in Visayas.
Tindog People’s Network, a group of typhoon survivors, is also planning to file a class suit against the Aquino administration for its supposed failed relief and rehabilitation efforts. (CBCPNews)