MANILA, Dec. 8, 2015 – Eight deacons of the Society of the Divine Word (SVD) were ordained to the priesthood on Dec. 5 at the Holy Spirit Chapel of the Divine Word Seminary, Tagaytay City in a solemn celebration attended by 127 priests and 2 bishops.
The new priests are:
- Fr. Lawrence Llona, SVD (to be assigned in South Sudan, Africa)
- Fr. Ryan Di?o, SVD (to be assigned in Argentina South)
- Fr. Diderick Andrinjatovo, SVD (to be assigned in Philippine South)
- Fr. Franciskus Subandi, SVD (to be assigned in Philippine Central)
- Fr. June Lee Sarenas, SVD (to be assigned in Ghana, Africa)
- Fr. Gregorius Robi Dosom, SVD (to be assigned in Philippine North)
- Fr. Roberto Solis, SVD (to be assigned in Japan)
- Fr. Lindsey Francis Taeza, SVD (to be assigned in Togo, Africa)
Ordaining prelate Imus Bishop Reynaldo Evangelista, DD, in his homily, centered on the priesthood being a configuration to Christ, witnessing Christ, and proclaiming Christ.
He also reminded the new priests to never lose sight of prayers, quoting Pope John Paul II: “Prayer makes a priest and through prayer a priest becomes himself.” He also stressed the importance of a “priestly conscience.”
This year’s batch of new SVD missionaries are called Logos Class, inspired by the Prologue of the Gospel of John: “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God.” (John 1:1)
The new SVD missionary priests will still continue with their theological studies at the Divine Word Seminary. For the Christmas season, they will be serving in the parishes where they were assigned as deacons. The two Indonesians, Fr. Franciskus and Fr. Gregorius Robi, celebrated their first Mass together with the big bulk of Indonesian priests, brothers and sisters who are assigned in the Philippines.
The cultural diversity of the new SVD missionary priests, 5 Filipinos, 2 Indonesians and 1 from Madagascar, highlights the international character of the said congregation. (Fr. Felmar Castrodes Fiel, SVD / CBCP News)