MANILA, Oct. 25, 2016— At least two Catholic bishops expressed support for the plan to reopen the investigation into the Mamasapano encounter.
Archbishop Ramon Arguelles of Lipa and Bishop Dinualdo Gutierrez of Marbel said it was clear the issue remains unresolved.
Arguelles, a former bishop of the Military Ordinariate of the Philippines, said the public, especially the families of the victims, deserve to know the truth.
“There were lies and inconsistencies in the whole tragic affair. Even the role of the USA needs to be clarrified,” he said.
President Rodrigo Duterte said he may order a new probe to be carried out into the bloody January 2015 incident that claimed over 60 lives, including 44 police commandos.
Eighteen rebels and five civilians were also killed in the encounter between government forces and armed rebel groups, including members of the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF).
In a speech at a business forum in Beijing last Thursday, Duterte said he wanted to know who got the $5-million ransom reward for terrorist Zulkifli Abdhir, also known as Manwar, who was killed by the SAF troopers.
The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines previously said that peace in the south can only be attained if justice to the SAF commandos will be served.
For Gutierrez, a reinvestigation is necessary “for the truth to come out.” (CBCPNews)